Using the standalone Google Lens app
Most modern Android phones have the Google Assistant, which includes Google Lens. However, if your phone doesn’t have it for some reason, or you prefer the standalone app, you can get it from the Play Store.
To get Google Lens on your Android phone, follow the steps below:
- Open the Google Play Store on your phone or tablet, search for Google Lens, and tap the Install button.
- After it is installed, launch the Google Lens app from your home screen.
- Give Google Lens access to your camera and photo folder and start the photogallery if required.
- When the app starts, point your phone’s camera at the QR code you want to scan.
- Tap the shutter button again to execute the action.
Using a third-party app to open QR codes on Android
As we mentioned earlier, Google Lens is built into your phone’s operating system. It’s free, simple, and gives you the results you need. However, you may want additional features or other functionality.
In that case, launch the Google Play Store on your phone or tablet and search the store QR codes. It will provide you with a series of QR code reader apps that you can try for yourself.
Some apps read QR codes and barcodes, while others will let you create QR codes with in-app purchases.
Using QR codes on Android
Whether you use the standalone Google Lens app or access it through Google Assistant, scanning a QR code is a piece of cake. If you think the Google Assistant method is too clunky, using the app might be a better solution.
Depending on your device, you can also use your device’s camera app. Test it out by pointing your phone’s camera over the QR code and seeing if a popup appears. If it does, tap it to take you to the location of the QR code.
You can do other things with your Android device, like copy text from an image. If you are a Windows user, check out how to connect your Android phone to Windows 11. If your phone is getting full, you might want to find out which apps are taking up space on Android.